We had a great event in Brighton on 7th June and were joined by people looking to take over a community asset; people who are already involved with a co-operative or community share project; people who’ve been there and done that and who shared their experiences and also by people who may be able to assist with raising finance.
We heard from practitioners Peter Couchman from the Plunkett Foundation; Dave Boyle from the Community Shares Company and Alice Wharton from the Community Shares Unit. We also heard about the experiences of Warren Carter from The Bevy and Rob Stark from the Fox and Hounds who took over their local pubs and created communities.
95% of attendees told us that the conference had met their expectations well or very well and here are a few quotes from participants
- “combination of theory and real life examples and plenty of time to network was useful”
- “the history of the co-op movement that underpins community shares was an unexpected but interesting element”
- “really informative and useful day”
- “pacing of event was really good and great to have a chance to network in the pub afterwards”
- “well done on putting on such a great event. I’ll certainly come to future events”
- “well organised and very informative”
View some of the presentations:
Visit the speakers’ websites:
Thanks to The Brighthelm Centre in Brighton for looking after us so well and for the delicious food.